Message In The Heavens?

Live Discussion

This is a live discussion for both members and guests. Please no soliciting, sharing of personal information, or obscenity. The latest replies are at the bottom.
EnochWalked: A government wouldn't last long if it said "Anyone can own as many nukes as they like, but you mustn't detonate them without our permission". Such a law would be useless, just like "You can own a super-intelligence, provided you don't ask it bad questions" Jul 24, 2024 19:57:54 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.cbsnews.com/news/netanyahu-address-congress-israel/ '"We meet today at a crossroads of history. Our world is in upheaval," Netanyahu said ... "It's a clash between those who glorify death and those who sanctify life."' Jul 25, 2024 1:10:53 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/24/komodo-dragons-have-iron-tipped-teeth-to-tear-into-flesh/ " Giant lizard’s razor-sharp fangs may provide clues to how dinosaurs like Tyrannosaurus Rex killed and ate their prey " Jul 25, 2024 1:13:14 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2024/07/24/taylor-swift-jd-vance-childless-cat-ladies/74525531007/ "When it hits you that Taylor Swift is childless and has cats... The armageddon is coming for him". What does that even mean? Jul 25, 2024 3:03:06 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.thedailybeast.com/fbi-is-not-fully-convinced-trump-was-struck-by-a-bullet '“There is some question about whether or not it was a bullet or shrapnel that hit his ear,” FBI Director Christopher Wray said Wednesday.' Jul 25, 2024 9:43:54 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.theguardian.com/money/article/2024/jul/24/thought-for-your-pennies-treasury-orders-no-new-coins-to-be-minted "Treasury officials have for the first time ordered no new coins to be minted for general circulation". So no images of the king? Jul 25, 2024 10:00:30 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.timesofisrael.com/ben-gvir-again-defies-status-quo-declares-jewish-prayer-permitted-on-temple-mount/ "PM’s office pushes back against far-right minister, insists ... Jews are banned from praying at holy site". More cracks in the coalition? Jul 25, 2024 16:31:50 GMT -6
EnochWalked: "Ben Gvir on Wednesday claimed a major change has been instituted to the fragile status quo on Jerusalem’s Temple Mount, saying he prays at the site and that Jewish prayer is allowed at the site, despite a decades-long ban on the practice." Jul 25, 2024 16:32:37 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/07/25/north-korean-hackers-stole-military-secrets-fbi-reveals/ "Hunt launched for members of ‘malicious cyber group’ after US nuclear information is targeted". Yet somehow OpenAI's security is even worse. Jul 25, 2024 17:01:59 GMT -6
yardstick: @ew, re: nukes - setting aside the 'common sense' argument for a moment, detonating a nuke would inherently violate at least once of the three principles I outlined earlier... since you would contaminate the air, land and water of someone else... Jul 25, 2024 18:12:01 GMT -6
yardstick: ...simply from the fallout. unless someone has a sure-fire way to control global air currents? 8-) Jul 25, 2024 18:12:54 GMT -6
yardstick: @ew, re: coins: those are british pence, not US coins; and so while interesting, your statement might be misconstrued by some who dont actually read the article. Jul 25, 2024 18:20:01 GMT -6
EnochWalked: @ys I think we're agreed that governments are justified in banning the detonation of nukes, but it sounds like you were suggesting that the mere possession of nukes doesn't amount to a concrete harm that a government should be able to forbid. Jul 25, 2024 22:03:15 GMT -6
EnochWalked: It's true that an un-detonated nuke (or TNT) doesn't hurt anyone, just as it's true that breaking the speed limit on an empty public road doesn't harm anyone, and I can concede that it is an infringement on citizens' liberty to ban those activities. Jul 25, 2024 22:06:12 GMT -6
EnochWalked: My point is that, sadly, governments have to place "guardrails" well beyond actually harmful acts, that make it illegal for citizens to bring about situations where harms become "too likely". Owning a super-intelligent AI is, I believe, such a situation. Jul 25, 2024 22:09:54 GMT -6
EnochWalked: Unfortunately, even if the majority of people agreed with me about that, it would be difficult for a government to actually write such guardrail legislation for AI. No one knows what capabilities an AI has until it has been widely used, usually remotely. Jul 25, 2024 22:13:00 GMT -6
EnochWalked: As the act of talking to an AI is arguably a type of free speech or association, and even the data in the AI's brain is arguably a type of written "speech" by the developers, the constitutionality could be challenged. Then there's the jurisdiction issues. Jul 25, 2024 22:15:41 GMT -6
EnochWalked: Anyway, I also take your point about the ambiguity of the quote I chose for the article about pennies. If it weren't for the 256 character limit, I might have specified "[UK] Treasury officials". It was aimed at those who think Charles is an AC candidate. Jul 25, 2024 22:21:49 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/australia-canada-and-new-zealand-call-for-an-immediate-ceasefire-to-end-catastrophic-human-suffering-in-gaza-20240726-p5jwwv.html "We fully stand behind the comprehensive ceasefire deal, outlined by President Biden" Jul 26, 2024 8:55:08 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.ncronline.org/vatican/view-vatican/busy-week-three-potential-future-popes "Some conservative-leaning cardinals now see [Pietro Parolin, aged 69] as the most reliable candidate" to replace Francis. This cardinal was in Ukraine this past week. Jul 26, 2024 11:04:06 GMT -6
Chat as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel