Some observations and conjectures

Live Discussion

This is a live discussion for both members and guests. Please no soliciting, sharing of personal information, or obscenity. The latest replies are at the bottom.
EnochWalked: essanews.com/court-orders-x-to-reveal-investors-links-to-putins-allies-found,7063945661912705a "This list contains over a hundred entries, including ... a Saudi Arabian royal family member [and] the sons of Russian oligarchs [linked to] Putin" Aug 26, 2024 22:01:13 GMT -6
Servant: www.jpost.com/international/internationalrussia-ukraine-war/article-816333 Supposedly leaked files on tactical attacks on Europe, dated from 2008-2014. I am unsure if it is a scare tactic from Putin? Or a foreshadow? Maybe if Trump was not elected Aug 26, 2024 22:29:43 GMT -6
Servant: as a President, Putin would lose influence in USA with politics and might resort to attack on Europe for payback or distraction? Hence Trump's word about Harris bringing WW3? Meaning Trump need to be President to avoid war? I don't know. Aug 26, 2024 22:32:08 GMT -6
EnochWalked: Interesting, thanks for sharing. "Russia planned overwhelming strikes across Western Europe, including the use of nuclear weapons." Usually when these "leaks" happen, it's because the relevant government wants people to know the information. Aug 26, 2024 23:07:06 GMT -6
EnochWalked: In this case, it's probably that Putin is trying to scare countries like Estonia and Czechia to not support Ukraine. If the citizens of those countries read these "leaks", they will tell their leaders not to risk becoming Putin's nuclear targets. Aug 26, 2024 23:08:41 GMT -6
EnochWalked: Actually I shouldn't have picked Estonia and Czechia if the article says Western Europe. It's probably aimed at Germany, who have a strong anti-nuclear movement (both civilian and military) and are easily scared into doing what Putin wants. Aug 26, 2024 23:10:26 GMT -6
EnochWalked: I can't help but be reminded of this ironic moment in the lead up to WW2. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_for_our_time There is a huge temptation for leaders to claim that they have secured peace through appeasement which only emboldens dictators. Aug 26, 2024 23:22:54 GMT -6
Servant: @ew: That reminds me. I remember reading years ago that a reporter asked Putin about Crimea takeover and he mentioned that he couldn't believe how easy it was. Then started invasion in Ukraine soon after. History repeats itself again? Aug 27, 2024 1:30:11 GMT -6
EnochWalked: And I remember how Bush Jr. said "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... you don't get fooled again". After the takeover of Crimea, the West were embarrassed and correctly guessed that dictators would try to exploit this apparent weakness. Aug 27, 2024 3:03:49 GMT -6
EnochWalked: So in secret, the UK (which was a guarantor state under the Budapest Memorandum) drew up plans to protect Ukraine in the event of further incursion. Unfortunately that didn't stop Putin from claiming Donbas, but it saved Kyiv from Putin's blitzkrieg. Aug 27, 2024 3:08:06 GMT -6
EnochWalked: www.timesofisrael.com/cabinet-ministers-warn-ben-gvir-endangering-israel-with-reckless-temple-mount-moves/ 'Asked if he would put a synagogue on the site if he could, he answered, “Yes, yes, yes, yes.”' Such enthusiasm shows he is impatient. Aug 27, 2024 3:12:09 GMT -6
EnochWalked: If the EU pushes Israel into accepting a Palestinian state (perhaps as part of a bigger deal with Saudi Arabia, Iran, and some rebuilding/occupation in Gaza) then to sweeten the deal there could be a new Saudi controlled Abrahamic House built on the Mount? Aug 27, 2024 3:15:20 GMT -6
EnochWalked: In secret it would be agreed that eventually Jews could carry out sacrifices there, beginning once a year, then at holy days, then daily. MBS would get to fund and inaugurate the building (standing in the holiest part, boasting about his achievement). Aug 27, 2024 3:18:05 GMT -6
EnochWalked: I'm not sure about the timing. Maybe Biden would approve it after November is over (he can afford to upset Netanyahu then), or perhaps Trump would push for it so he could claim the deal of the century (with Kushner's company funding the Saudi nukes). Aug 27, 2024 3:21:01 GMT -6
Gary: Interesting prospect! Also, it's notable that there is a practical change on the ground in Jerusalem post-Gaza war. No more swarms of angry rioters keeping Jews out. Israel has more control of the security situation... and a new West Bank operation is Aug 27, 2024 8:42:54 GMT -6
Gary: set to begin soon as well, which will further erode Islamic power in the area. Aug 27, 2024 8:43:23 GMT -6
EnochWalked: That's a strange thing to observe. You think that the Muslims there have given up trying to stop Jews from praying on the Mount? I would have thought that they would be more angry after the Gaza war, not less. Maybe the angriest ones died in the fighting? Aug 28, 2024 0:15:36 GMT -6
EnochWalked: english.nv.ua/nation/zelenskyy-announces-successful-test-of-ukraine-s-first-ballistic-missile-50446235.html "He noted that he could not share details about the missile." So he doesn't want to reveal that it could reach as far as Moscow? Aug 28, 2024 4:18:24 GMT -6
EnochWalked: I'm sure Putin has the best anti-missile systems possible protecting Moscow and his other private palaces, but even if one of these missiles lands short, it could dramatically change the perception of the war in Russia. Putin might need to go nuclear. Aug 28, 2024 4:21:04 GMT -6
Gary: I suppose anger is greater than ever there, but Israeli security forces aren't putting up with it... no more big post-Friday prayer riots at the Mount! Aug 28, 2024 8:54:32 GMT -6
Chat as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel